Maybe no one couldn’t think that Basalt Stone would become popular among people with this appearance. But this volcanic rock surprised everyone and became popular in early 2021. This porous stone has high resistance, which can be used in the walls and floors of indoor and outdoor spaces. This gray stone can be combined with crystal marble and used in the staircase. With modern and hidden illumination, not only can saving money but also it can give a stylish look to your building.
Basalt stone is extracted from two famous quarries in Mako (Azarbaijan) and Hamedan and these two types of basalt are different from each other. Mako basalt stone has a darker color and smaller holes and Hamedan basalt stone has a brighter color and sometimes larger holes in its texture. Also, Mako basalt stone doesn`t have holes and spots. Color holes are green, white and orange impurities and variances which sometimes are found on the surface of the stone.
Features Of Basalt Stone
- The porosity of this stone can increase the effect of an exposed cement or concrete surface.
- The mines of this stone are in Hamadan and Mako, Azerbaijan.
- The fibers of this stone are used to produce stone wool. In this way, first, the stone is melted in the furnace, then it turns into fibers.
- This stone is produced in three types: polished – honed – grooved.
- Basalt stone can be a resistant stone for floors, walls, and interior and exterior facades as stone tile and any other sizes.
- Due to the volcanic nature of this stone, it is sometimes included in the granite stone category, called porous granite.
- Due to this stone’s high friction and high resistance, it can be an excellent option for the parking ramp.
Types of processing of basalt stone
Due to basalt stone`s high resistance, it is subjected to various processes each of which has its own usage. Basalt stone processing is done in the form of Hond- cut (grooved)- Bush hammer- bush hammer cut- scratch- groove 1, 2, 5 cm which you can see in the gallery below. Also, the price of each is listed in the price box.
The mechanism of Basalt stone formation
Basalt rocks are usually formed when the volcanic basaltic Lava cools and crystallizes and extrusive igneous rocks are formed. Sometimes red and orange colors appear on these stones, indicating corrosion. Sometimes due to the movement of rocks in the ocean boundaries, magmas find a path and erupt from the earth on the oceans. These magmas eventually create pillow lavas. Because all these events happen at the bottom of the sea, volcanic ash, and gases will dissolve in the water. In warm ocean areas, magmas come out of the bottom of the oceans, and with successive eruptions, magmas increase and convert to islands.
The advantages of Basalt stone
Basalt stone is used in various industries due to its abundance. The various advantages of basalt stone are very valuable and are widely used in the construction industry. The following are the advantages of basalt stone:
- It is very durable and has fantastic longevity
- It is compatible with the environment due to its non-toxicity
- t is anti-algae and it is suitable for humid areas such as north of Iran
- It has high resistance to water and moisture
- It absorbs carbon dioxide in the air
- It has strong adhesion to all kinds of building materials
Uses of Basalt stone
Basalt stone is used in the following two general categories:
- Floor and wall cladding stone and stair stone of the building
- Making some stone products and stone artifacts such as washstands (for example Arta washstand, Darya washstand, Tara washstand), fountains, statues, vases, etc.
Basalt stone compared to Andesite stone
In general, basalt stone is less dense than andesite stone due to its high porosity. For this reason, basalt is lighter than andesite. The color of basalt stone is often dark gray, while andesite can be white, light gray and red depending on the quarry.
In the photos below, you can see bush hammer and cut hond products of these two stones side by side.
- Unique color and pattern
- Various processing
- There is some impurities in the form of centimeter grains with different color